This year SONY launched its most awaited camera NEX 3 and NEX 5. the NEX is a completely new class of camera; one with the features and capabilities of a full-fledged digital SLR, but with a size and weight closer to a pocket size camera. Thus NEX series is aiming to provide digital SLR quality photos with the size nearly half of digital SLR cameras. Most people use digital pocket cameras for its compactness but for those who have experienced digital SLR image quality will not compromise. SONY NEX series is not exactly SLR camera but because of its SLR camera type image quality they are more often compared to SLRs. Traditional SLR cameras are large and heavy, and complex operation makes them unsuitable for many users. SONY created a different class of digital camera featuring facility for users to change lens. In fact they are crowned as world's smallest and lightest interchangeable lens camera.
The camera is designed for easy first-time use. You can start with automatic modes and move on to more advanced features as you learn. The camera features built-in guides and helpful tips to take advantage of the CMOS sensor. For example, in auto modes, you can adjust the dial to take the background out of focus, instead of wondering about aperture settings. There is no in-built flash.
This is not a problem as you don't need a flash most of the time, and a removable flash unit is supplied with the camera too. On the other hand it's stylish look had taken many hearts. Thus NEX series is providing style with performance.
Technical Specifications and features…
- 14.2 MP APS (1.5x) Exmor CMOS Sensor
- Extremely Compact HD Imaging System
- Interchangeable 18-55mm E-Series Lens
- 720p HD video recording/ MPEG-4 format
- ISO up to 12800
- Up to 7 fps continuous shooting
- In-Camera 226° Sweep Panoramas
- Memory Stick PRO Duo or SD/SDHC Cards
- Tilt able 3.0" LCD
- Accepts A-mount lenses via LA-EA1 adapter
- Detachable flash
- Optical zoom up to 18 x
- Aperture range: F/3.5-5.6
- Focal length: 18 millimeters to 55 millimeters
- Optical sensor: 15.6 x 23.4mm
- Image types: JPEG, RAW
What's Good about Sony NEX camera?
- It's compactness and high image quality surely attracts high-end photographers
- There is one button movie switching mode which is quiet attractive
- The 3 inch tilt able screen adds another good feature to this camera
- It is nearly half in size and weight of Sony's very own lightest DSLR A230L
- It is capable of recording videos in high definition
- Captures sharp picture
- Comfortable for manual focus
- Fast lenses good for shooting video
- Handling and overall performance of the NEX-3 is excellent
What's Bad about Sony NEX camera?
- No neutral image color settings
- Using detachable flash is inconvenient sometimes
- The processing takes some extra time. This means you have to wait to get the camera ready for shooting
- Accessories are very expensive
- high battery consumption